Expectations of ACDL Library Trustees
The Ashtabula County District Library (ACDL) Board Bylaws require the board to meet regularly at least quarterly. The ACDL Board has chosen to meet monthly on the third Wednesday of the month at 5:30 PM. Circumstances may require meetings to be rescheduled as necessary to meet the needs of the board. In addition, special or emergency board meetings may be called when necessary.
There are three primary committees with multiple responsibilities appointed by the Board President consisting of two board members and the President of the Board as an ex-officio member. They are the (1) Executive/Finance/Audit, (2) Operations/Personnel, and (3) Facilities/Planning/Development Committees. Board members are expected to serve on one of the three committees.
Board members are expected to:
- Regularly attend scheduled regular, special and emergency meetings and committee meetings to which they are assigned.
- Notify the Board President or the Library Director in advance when personal circumstances prohibit you from attending a meeting to be excused. Multiple unexcused absences may be cause for the Board to seek your resignation.
- Be prompt, having read the board packet and reports, and prepared to discuss the issues on the meeting agenda.
- Actively participate in activities and workshops, and lend expertise and leadership to the board for the good of the library.
- Treat each other with respect, listen to others’ views, and when a decision is reached speak with one voice in support of the board and that decision.
- Unless expressly authorized by the board, only the Library Director or Board President may speak for the board or library.
- Keep confidential any personal nonpublic information that you may be privy to.
- Conduct yourself in a manner that positively reflects on the ACDL system and adhere to the State of Ohio Ethics regulations.
- Advocate for the library and its budget in the community.